The competition shall be held in accordance with the General Rules of the Games and those of the International Lawn Tennis Federation.
- Each team shall consist of ten players (five men and five women), one of whom shall act as captain.
- The host organization shall provide for a chief referee to keep the records and to resolve any disputes that may arise. The chief referee’s decision shall be final.
- The host organization shall designate an umpire for each match, and for this purpose may call upon players not competing in a match at the time.
- The host organization shall provide tennis balls for each match.
- The competition shall be organized on an elimination basis, with a parallel tournament for the teams losing in the first round. The teams defeated in the semi finals of the main tournament shall meet each other in a play-off encounter for 3rd and 4th places.
- The host organization shall draw up the schedule of matches in accordance with paragraph 11 of the General Rules of the Games. Teams will be seeded to ensure that those placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd last year do not meet in the 1st round this year.
- A round between two teams shall be decided on the basis of the best of five matches: a men’s singles match, a women’s singles match, a men’s doubles match, a women’s doubles match and a mixed doubles match. No player shall compete in more than one match in the same encounter.
- Each match shall be decided according to the best of three sets. A set tied at 6-6 shall be decided by tie break. A set won by default shall be counted 6-0.
- At the end of each encounter, the chief referee shall report the results in writing to the discipline coordinator, on the official form with the match records duly signed by the team captains.
- In case of bad weather:
(a) Any encounter begun outdoors shall be continued on covered courts;(b) Matches will be played indoors with the same format as outdoors (two singles, one men’s doubles, one women’s doubles, one mixed doubles, but in short sets (first to nine wins, with a tie-break at 8-8);
(c) The final encounter and the play-off encounter for the 3rd and 4th places shall also be decided according to the best of five matches.