The competition shall be held in accordance with the General Rules of the Games and those of the International Volleyball Federation.
- Each team shall consist of nine players, or ten if a libero is used; one of whom shall act as captain.
- At the beginning of the Games, each team shall submit to the host organization a list of its players, indicating the number of each player and the colour of the team uniform. During the entire competition, the number worn by each player shall be the same as indicated on the official list.
- The host organization shall provide the services of official referees who are active members of the Volleyball Federation of the host country. On the court, the referee’s decision shall be final.
- Each team shall provide two regulation-size balls for each encounter.
- The host organization shall draw up the schedule of encounters in accordance with paragraph 11 of the General Rules of the Games.
(a) If there are 6 teams or less participating in the competition, each team shall play against every other team. The team gaining the most points (see para.7) shall win the competition, and the final ranking of the other teams shall be according to their total of points.
- (b) If there are 7 teams or more participating in the competition, the teams shall be divided into two groups; within each group, each team shall play against every other team, and the ranking of the teams within the groups shall be as described in paragraph 5(a). There shall then be a semi-final in which the winning team from group A shall play against the second in group B, and the winning team of group B shall play against the second in group A. The winners of the semi-finals shall play against each other for first and second places, whereas the losers of the semi-finals shall play against each other for third and fourth places.
- Each encounter shall be decided on the basis of:
- 5 sets, if there are 6 teams or less;
- 3 sets, if there are 7 teams or more.
- For each encounter, two match points shall be awarded to the winning team and one point to the loser. In case a team concedes an encounter or refuses to play, the encounter shall be considered won by the other team 3-0 or 2-0 (cf. paragraph 6) and each set shall be counted 25-0.
- The team obtaining the most points shall win the competition, and the ranking of the other teams shall be according to their respective total of points. If two or more teams obtain the same number of points, their ranking shall be determined according to the number of sets won and lost, and if necessary, according to the number of points won and lost in the sets played.
- At the end of each encounter, the referee shall report the results in writing to the discipline coordinator together with the match records duly signed by the team captains.